Now for the recipe today…I am sharing with you an easy cod recipe that looks and tastes like you slaved in the kitchen for hours. I rarely cook cod, but I was in Whole Foods (pretty much the only place to get decent fish in DC -- please correct me if you know of a better place!) and thought it looked pretty good and wanted to experiment with the fish. If you're not familiar with cod, it has a pretty meaty texture. I would say in terms of texture it's more similar to a swordfish or mahi mahi. I really like it! The flavor is pretty mild (and not too fishy which is always a win!). It would go well with a lot of different flavors. I adapted this recipe from this Lemon Baked Cod recipe, but instead of butter and regular flour, I used an egg and coconut flour and it turned out excellent! I will definitely be making this again.
Here's what you will need:
· Cod - I used 2 fillets (but the ingredients below would be good for 3-4 fillets)
· 1 egg
· 1/4 cup of coconut flour
· 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
· 1/2 teaspoon of salt
· 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
Optional: paprika, shredded coconut, and side dishes (brussels sprouts and spaghetti squash)
QUICK SIDE DISH RECIPES: For the squash, cut it in half and boil it for about 30 minutes. Then use a fork to pull out the squash so it looks like spaghetti noodles! For the brussels sprouts, I sliced them in half and then mixed them with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and then put them on a baking sheet in the oven while the cod was cooking. They should also take about 25-30 minutes.
1. Beat the egg in a small bowl.
2. Mix dry ingredients in another bowl.
3. Dip the cod into the egg and then coat it with the dry ingredients.
4. Lay cod on a oiled and lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes on 350 degrees.
5. Sprinkle paprika and shredded coconut on top of cod and ta-da! Serve with your side dishes.