I actually found this picture below of my plate from Thanksgiving at my house in San Diego from a couple of years ago....yum!!! But I think instead of the regular mashed potatoes, some colorful sweet potatoes would have been even better! Sweet potatoes are a health food powerhouse. They are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, fiber, and they taste amazing. Have you ever tried making them into mashed potatoes? If not, I highly recommend it and what better time to make them than Thanksgiving?! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday. We all have SO much to be thankful for!
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes (I used this bag of already cut sweet potatoes from Trader Joe's, but if you want to chop up your own it would be roughly 4-6 potatoes depending on the size)
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon of fresh ginger (I think more than that makes the ginger too overwhelming)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat sweet potatoes with coconut oil, add salt and pepper and bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown.
- Blend potatoes with coconut milk and ginger until smooth (I started using a Vitamix and then switched over to a mixer because it's pretty thick for a blender!) You can add additional coconut milk as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper after fluffy and enjoy as a Thanksgiving dinner side dish! Next time I would also sprinkle some cinnamon on top!
*Stay tuned for a special Thanksgiving post tomorrow! :)